Sunday, June 24, 2012

That's Not Fair!

I have somehow spent many hours crafting and don't really have anything to show for it.  I keep flitting from project to project without ever spending enough time on one to make a noticeable difference.  The main project (that hasn't been Good For Ewe knitting/pattern designing) has been this... the Shetland Snapdragon.  I have a mental block when it comes to knitting with my own handspun, so I signed up to enter a knitted item from handspun yarn in to the State Fair this year which forces me to bite the bullet and do it.  I've got a little over a month before items have to be dropped off, and the only projects not truly finished are my super-cabley mittens, my scrap-eater crochet afghan, and my hat. It's totally do-able.  I think.

So I dug out my favorite hank of handspun, a huge gray hank with subtle reds and blues.  I figured I'd have enough to make the hat AND a pair of mitts with this giant hank.  I casted on and knitted until my fingers were sore (which happened quite quickly between the cables, small needles, and tightly spun shetland).  I had about 10 hours in the hat and it occurred to me at around row 40 that I didn't have enough yarn for a matching pair of mitts- but I totally have enough to finish the hat.  I looked down a few rows later and the yarnball was tiny- what happened?  So I just started decreasing for the crown, but I've only got around 10 yards left.  I have no idea how that happened.

I had luckily saved the card that came with the fiber and emailed the farm explaining that this was my favorite color of roving in the world and if they had it, I would love to buy it and if they didn't, I would make it worth their time to make up a new batch.  I want enough of this color to make a jacket because I just love this color and think it's the best color the world has ever seen. Anyhow, I haven't heard back yet but my fingers are very tightly crossed.  Here is the hat at the moment..
When I haven't been working on the Shetland Snapdragon, I've been working on the quilt top and hitting the pavement.  I've done 2 5k races this summer so far and have another 2 to do still.  Here's the picture of a few friends and I post-Zombie Dash yesterday.
And...the quilt so far.  I had the owner of the quilt shop help me with the arrangement and pick out a backing fabric.  The fabric that's going on the bottom looks like little knit stitches, I can't wait to finish it and show you! (Madeline is hiding under one of the squares- the bulge is not a sewing mishap)
The first of the Good For Ewe yarns should come by the end of this week- keep an eye out for the biggest "project" of my life!

No comments: