Wednesday, December 10, 2008

So this is Christmas

At least it is in William Morris Tower, Flat 6!

I made my first Chocolate Victoria Sponge Cake with Chocolate Butter Icing...and impressed the pants off myself.

There was chocolate fudge...
and there was Red Velvet cake (scroll down for recipe!)


and there was Coca-Cola cake, complete with Chocolate and Coke icing and marshmallows (sounds weird as hell, but it's really very good)





The cooks couldn't have been more proud...
(This is one of the Alex-es of the flat, he makes a mean Christmas Chicken, pot roast, Yorkshire puddings and roasted potatoes, I took care of the cakes, green beans, carrots, and mashed potatoes. Together, we can put together quite a meal...for 20)

And finally, after 9 hours of cooking, we were finally ready to eat.

After a ridiculous amount of food, we were somewhat ready for my pride and joy, dessert. So Irene invented a reason for her pseudo-hubby, Tom to leave (his b-day is on Saturday and he's the one that's obsessed with Coke) and then we turned out the lights and put a bunch of candles in the Coca-Cola cake and brought him back and and sang to him. He was appropriately embarassed, but I think he liked it. He definently liked the cake.

Then we undid our secret santa gifts. I haven't gotten a picture of my own yet, so I stole someone else's picture of my gifts...yeah, I really got a necklace and a bracelet from Tiffany! I started crying right there in the middle of the secret santa swap, it was the best present ever! Yikes- I'm still crying! I feel so loved!

Red Velvet Cake:

1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 teas. vanilla
2 T Cocoa
1 teas. salt
1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup of milk plus 1 teaspoon white vinegar)
1 tsp soda
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/4 cups flour
1 oz red food color in 2 oz water
1 T vinegar

Cream shortening, eggs, and sugar. Make a paste with food color, water and cocoa. Add to mixture, then add salt, buttermilk, flour, and vanilla. Mix. Remove from mixer and add vinegar and soda (mixture). Spoon together, but don't beat. Bake 350 for 30 minutes.

Frosting... (aka the best frosting in the world)
1 cup milk
1 cup butter
1 teas. vanilla
5 T. flour
1 cup powdered sugar

Mix flour with milk and cook until thick. Cool in frig.
Mix 1 cup butter (real butter) with powdered sugar and vanilla
Beat mixture until smooth. Add flour and milk mixture gradually.

Enjoy! I'd love to know what you think- if you make it, you must let me know how it turns out!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OH! I gotta try the red velvet recipe!

paisley penguin said...

Thanks for posting the Red Velvet recipe! I can't wait to try it!