Monday, May 18, 2009

Flip-flopping shawls and Gypsy scarves

Now that I've shown the world the beast that is the Noro Swallowtail (and promptly stuck it far away in my suitcase where I won't have to look at it for a month or so), I'm going to show you something else that may or may not turn out hideously. This is my Gypsy scarf, and if it turns out well, I will be giving it to Marylyn this weekend at my (surprise!) birthday party that I'm not supposed to know about. Since I wasn't ready to part with any of my sock yarns, I collected all the red scraps in my mitred blanket stash and started knitting them together. So far it's coming along quite well.It's also got little bits of other colors- there's some varigated rows with red in them and there's a plain baby blue strand...but whatever. I'm just knitting and leaving a tail for the fringe. I'm not even going to make sure they're even- I kind of like them all different lengths! It's wild and I like it- for now. If it turns out badly, it will be dropped off at a charity shop and never mentioned to Marylyn.

I've also decided and changed my mind a hundred times on Sheree's wedding shawl. I think I might have really truly decided this time though. Anne brought her wonderful new purple cashmere Knitwitches Aeolian shawl to the Monday morning knitting group today, and I was smitten. I must make it. I'll just use more neutral beads this time...perhaps a clear sparkly to go with the pale pink? She used clear sparkly, and the result was blingy and classy at the same time. So I'll follow her example and make something that hopefully won't make everyone cringe.

That is all. Almost. I saw Star-Trek this weekend. Despite not knowing a single thing about Star-Trek before going in, I actually enjoyed it. Here are some of the high points:

Harold from "Harold and Kumar go to Whitecastle" whipping out a sword in his awesomely bad yellow polyester spacesuit. Almost took him seriously. Almost.

Simon Pegg as Scotty. That man can beam me up any day.

The bad guy wore a biker jacket. Seriously. Leather with fringe. So bad it's awesome.

The costumes: love that over-darted polyester future-version of the 1960's look. Was halfway expecting to see some future granny squares hiding in a corner. The hair was also quite awesome.

The guy who played Captain Kirk. Yum. Even all beaten up. He appeals to the girls who like asshole guys even though we know they're going to break our hearts.

And that's a wrap. Knit long and prosper!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.