Friday, January 20, 2012


It's been a long week. As you may know, I work for a yarn company and have been making dozens of flowers to use as part of the new trade show booth. I also made a last minute scarf, and I needed to have all of these done by Wednesday. It was a long week of burning the midnight (and 3 am oil) but I am thrilled to say that I did it and it's over....until there's a new work project. It was lovely to go to bed Wednesday night and not have to think about how many mums needed crocheted the next.

On Tuesday my mom's little cat, Lacie dissapeared. While Lacie isn't a huge fan of me, I think she's beautiful and I try to cuddle her (at the risk of my face) whenever I see her which isn't too often because she and my mom live in Sarasota for most of the year. I didn't hear about her being gone until Wednesday morning after she hadn't come home the night before, and when an animal goes missing around where my parents live, it is generally assumed they fell in to the water and are gone for good. And that was the assumption. And my mom cried, and I cried, and we drank a glass of wine over the phone. And then after I was all tired from crying and not sleeping (between those flowers, the scarf and Lacie how could I?) the little shit came home Thursday morning like nothing had happened. The assumption now is that she was stuck in someone's garage or found her way on to a work vehicle. So then happy tears, but those don't count. Seriously- why do our animals do this to us?!

Yesterday started off with a snow storm, and a nasty trip to work. On a good day it takes me around 45 minutes to get to work, yesterday was almost 2 hours, white knuckles all the way. Once I got there it was a long day in the warehouse unloading the latest shipment and packing up a huge pile of backorders. It's cold and exhausting and then I went to Zumba, where by song 3 I felt like laying down on the floor and having someone wake me up when the class was over. Luckily Kim and Jessica were there or I would have probably wimped out and gone home.

Got home, showered, decided to sneak in a few minutes of my wonderful cross stitching/
audiobook time which you guys are sick of but I'm going to show you anyway. There's 5 parts to the border, and I just started the 3rd. The 4th border is the largest by far, it is 6 rows of checkerboard in ecru and a bazillion shades of gray and black to keep it interesting/annoying. I'm also going to have to get creative with this bit of the border, because I have an extra stitch somewhere that's going to throw off my perfect pattern.
I have also abandoned the dress and started on that's a little more user-friendly. The pattern is a Laura Ashley pattern I've had for a while, the fabric is 5 yards of bright paisley that I got for $12 forever ago. I had a little bit of a rough time piecing the skirts to the bust line, and after an hour with the seam ripper and some colorful language, I modified the pattern so it's a more curved bust line and not as pointed. I will probably make this dress again, but I'll be more careful with the bust line.
I'm not making as much progress with this because if I'm tired, I don't sew. If I've been crying, I don't sew. If I've only got 10 minutes to spare, I don't sew. That being said, it's a wonder I've gotten this far.

It's bright, it's cheap fabric, and I actually kind of love it.

1 comment:

Kim said...

If it makes you feel better, my thoughts were "if Paige and Jessica weren't here, I would be leaving now" from almost the same point.

And I love the dress!