Wednesday, July 30, 2008

New Arrivals

So I've been a little bit busy the past few days being a new mom and all. Want to see my babies? I've had them for three days, and they appear to be under a week old. I found them laying on the ground when I was out walking. Their nest had fallen and was in pieces, their brothers and sisters were all around them, but these guys were the only survivors. So I brought them home with me.

It's amazing how much they have changed in the past three days. When I brought them home they were weak little babies with no feathers, only fuzz. Now they are stronger and much louder. They started getting feathers yesterday and by the time I woke up this morning, they somehow had a full-out mohawk. I was very surprised that they both lived through the first night and I woke up and fed them every 3 hours to make sure they were okay. They are eating cut up milliworms and wax worms and flies when they get into the house, and feeding happens about every 45 minutes. They should be old and strong enough to fly within 2 weeks...as long as the cat doesn't find them. They're living in the screened-in porch right now and we're trying to keep the cat and dog out until they fledge. I think they are sparrows, but I have a hard time telling a moose from a mouse. Anyone think they are something else?

So that's what I've been doing for the past few days. Hopefully I can get a babysitter so I can come to knit-night on thursday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe they are baby hippopopotomouses