Monday, October 20, 2008

hehe....

I know this is terribly American and closed-minded of me, but every once in a while I see something like this and can't help but snicker for a minute. And then take a picture of course:So I went on a walk today to enjoy the arrival of fall and buy more milk and Cheerios. I took a couple pictures for you guys since I don't have a lot of progress to show on my second Hedera sock. I'm loosing momentum and second sock syndrome is setting in and has made me not want to turn the heel. But since I am meeting Craftyfox for knitting over tea tomorrow, I need to turn the heel so I can focus on conversation. I also wanted to thank everyone for voting on what I should name the socks, and with about half an hour left in the vote, I think it's safe to say that we have a winner.
With 7 votes, our winner is "Cliffs of Dover"
Keep them as Bluberry Scones got 4 votes, and Crumpet socks got 3 votes. Jane Bennet, Wivenhoe Blues and Cold feet in Colchester all tied with 2, and this time nobody voted "I don't care" which is a relief. It's a little dissapointing when the highest scoring option is "They're only socks, you idiot. Get on with it."
I believe that I am all set for names on the next few pairs of socks, and I've got to fit in a couple lacy scarves for gifts quite soon, but they might need names.

Oh! I nearly forgot to tell you! Today was the day the Colchester Gazette came out and I'm in it! Luckily my picture didn't make it in because I was on week 2 of Fresher's Flu and looked like a combination of Death and Keith Richards with yarn, but the interview they did of me was quite long. They mentioned 8 times within 2 paragraphs that I was American (Paige, an American studying at Essex working on a pair of American socks with some lovely blue wool she got in America) but talked more about how I was the youngest one there but still totally with it. Score! I still haven't found the article on the website, but you're welcome to look around for it...let me know if you see something!
Another surprise! I'm designing a pair of socks! Actually I've already designed them, done the charts and the math and am now looking for the perfect yarn.

The pattern is for my readers and my fellow Fangbangers in the True Blood group on Ravelry (It's actually called Knit One, Dead Two) but it's about the new Vamp show on HBO. I designed a pair of socks for the main vamp, Bill, an ex-confederate soldier who got vamptified as he was going home after the surrender of the South. But it turns out my totally awesome pattern was already out there and called "Waffle Socks" and there is no point in even writing up my "Bill Compton" socks because I don't want to get sued for copyright infrigement. I have better things to do today.
But I am working on a pair of socks for the character Lafayette, who may be the most awesome character on the show. He's a gay, black, drug-dealing fry-cook at the restaurant where half the show is shot, and he's awesome. His drug of choice is "V" or vampire blood, and it gets people on it super-trippy, so the sock has cabled spirals and little Vs between the spiral repeats. The pattern is bright, bold, complex and trippy, I hope you like it- I sure do! Once I get the perfect yarn and get it knitted up, I will put it on my blog...somehow. Still working on making a link to free patterns in the sidebar. If anyone knows how to do that, please let me know- I'm technologically challenged.

1 comment:

laurie said...

What a long post. you are very chatty today. I'm happy that the sock name I voted on seems to be a winner, but all of the names were cute!!I will go forth and look for your colchester gazette article, hurrah for paige from america.
I'm looking forward for your new vampire sock- I love the stookie stackhouse books and bill is my most fav vampire, then eric. but I do not get hbo so i have not seen true blood yet, but i hear it's getting fave reviews. ta ta from indiana and keep thoses pic's and cards coming..