If you've been reading this blog for more than one academic term, then you'll know a couple of things.
1. I start writing essays early (like a month early) so I don't get to the point where I'm pulling 3 all-nighters in a row to get them done.
2. This never works. I sit at the computer and stare at it for an hour, check my email. Stare at my paper, check Ravelry, stare at my paper, write down 2 sentences, delete one of them, blog about it. Rinse and repeat.
3. My knitting mojo dissapears, arguably when I need it most. This becomes apparent after casting on no less than 6 socks and frogging them all after the first lace repeat.
4. I stop sleeping. I replace time spent sleeping with time spent eating, thus gaining an average of 7 pounds per term.
5. I cry for no reason. And very frequently. This is made considerably worse by my approaching arch nemesis, Valentine's Day.
6. My room becomes very clean (I don't know how it happens, it just does)
7. I promise myself rewards for after my essays are finished. So far I've got (a) the fourth and final book in the Twilight series (b) my dead writer's trip to Bath and Stratford-upon-Avon (c) going home and then to Florida for a week- including a trip to Disneyworld (d) consultation for my nose job and finally (e) peace of mind that comes from having all these papers done. (That being said, the term papers are still written the night before they are due)
That would normally be enough to motivate even a slug to write term papers (okay, if you replace things like "trip to Disney" with "piece of lettuce" and "Twilight book" with "big dark rock to hide under") but it just isn't working for me. I'm leaving on Friday after my last class to go to St Neots to visit Alex and Marylyn, and I wanted to have AT LEAST 2 papers done so I could enjoy the break, but it's just not happening.
What do you do when you just don't care about something, but need to do it anyway?
***(Very British Blog Prize for the first person to leave the movie I referenced (and what reference I made) in the comments. If you know me at all, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about)***