Thursday, January 20, 2011

totally doesn't count

So I thought I'd show you all my awesome new yarn...and then tell you why it's awesome. Ready? It's awesome because it totally doesn't count as stashing. I also don't have any real knitting to show you since all of my knitting time has been spent making new yarn. Well- one little knitting project. Just a little one.

1. Fiesta Yarns "La Boheme". This is my fabulous gift from Francie from the Sunday-group gifty-switch that happened a few days ago. I destashed nearly 1,000 yards of yarn that day and am thrilled with my gift! It's so pretty and fluffy and I love the colors. It's a mohair/rayon blend that's two yarns spun together. I think it's going to be a cowl because I have a coat it would match perfectly.
2. Patons Classic Merino. This color used to be off-white. Then it was celery green. Now it's Emerald and Mallard. It's going to be part of a new crochet project, which was started during a weak moment and will be explained at a later date. But the point is that it doesn't count since I didn't buy it, I only changed its color.
3. Handspun! This totally doesn't count because I'm not ADDING to the stash, I'm just moving things around. I've got 2 and a bit to show off today and should have more soon- I've been getting loads of spinning done since I moved the wheel back downstairs. The first is an art-batt that I bought last time I was in Sarasota. It's got tons of different wools and lots of sparkle, which normally drive me nuts but the lady at Batts in the Belfry does it in a way that just makes me want to spin 4 ounces in one sitting. But that's a lot of spinning so I try to break it up a little.
The second is from The Shepherd's Wife, my favorite vendor at the Feast of the Hunter's Moon, a historical reenactment of when the French voyageurs discovered the Lafayette area while floating down the Wabash. It's a great time if you're a history buff, bead-junkie, foodie, or fiber-enthusiast like me. But anyhoo, it's 4 ounces of Border Leicester in a fantastically subtle blue/green mix. I think it wants to be a hat or mittens.
Lastly, I've got a little bit of a mystery yarn from Abbie's class I took back in September. I've still got tons of little bits of fiber hanging around from that and have been trying to spin them in to little sock yarns for my blanket, which is feeling all neglected right now. I'm really just trying to clear up my fiber stash, as it appears to be breeding. It used to fit nicely in to a basket, then a slightly larger basket, then a tub, and now it's a fiber-jungle upstairs. I'm working on it... I'm also considering throwing in some birth control pills to see if that stops it from breeding.
And finally my knitting! It's my super-bowl scarf which is slooooooowly getting a little bigger. Last night there was super-scarf knitting at the Creation Cafe downtown and it was very fun. I highly recommend the house white wine. It makes you blush a lot and tell people holding cameras that you are a knitting superhero. Back to knitting. I'm not sure what to do with this scarf, you see. I know the end result- finish it and give it to the super-bowl committee to give to a volunteer, but I'm not sure if I should put the nearly-finished scarf on hold for a month until the next super-scarf meeting, or if I should finish it and be done with it and then cast on another in a month? Decisions, decisions.
In unrelated news, my Christmas Cactus is actually a Thanksgiving and MLK day Cactus. Thanks for reading and have a great day!

No comments: